Thursday, January 13, 2011

The End

My work is based on the theme of The Urban Environment. I choose to base it on maps and bikes and however different they are, the chaos they both make is remarkable.  I began on this concept as I was walking around Limerick City and became interested in the maps of the city. I wanted to get to know the area better and walking down one street, I passed a bike shop. The window was filled with bikes, both old and new, and I loved he chaos and clutter of them all. I noticed this thought carried on through my love of the maps and so the inspiration of my project had begun.
When starting a piece of work, I begin by whatever comes naturally at the time. This is usually doing a scribble with a pen or drawing a line of some sort. I love taking an object and translating it through a different medium, be it doing a line drawing or making a collage. I want to capture attention to ordinary things we would not usually consider beautiful. When translating a piece of rust for example, I try to use different materials to get the viewer to actually think about what they are looking at. When I work with different materials I am reminded that I don’t have to stick within the box that I was thought in school. I can look outside and use everyday materials for sewing e.g. tinfoil, cardboard and I can print onto material rather than sticking to paper.
This project was as challenging as it was enjoyable for me. I did hit some walls with my train of thought throughout the project and this makes me so frustrated. It is tricky trying to think of new ideas constantly and trying to show the work to back it up. But when I am happy with my work, I work very well and quick. I really enjoyed exploring different ideas in this project. When my work is going well I seem to enjoy what I am doing more. By doing this project,  I have realised that whenever I think that I am finished, I have to add one more piece until I am perfectly happy with how it looks.  When people see my work, I firstly want them to enjoy what they are looking at but then also to ask themselves what exactly they are looking at. I want them to be challenged when looking at something like my prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment